Wednesday, January 6, 2010

About Me

Just to be clear, it seems I should offer some explanation for the origins of my admittedly sarcastic and somewhat odd perspectives. If you have ever met me face to face, this will be old news, so feel free to move on to the next item on your personal agenda skipping this entry entirely. If we haven't met personally, knowing the following might be helpful in understanding my blog.

I'm a wife, mother and dog owner who is, in actuality, a cat person (more on this issue later). I should clarify that I'm a homeschooling mom which, in and of itself, means that I personally qualify for the epithet 'WHACK' according to some. All I have to say about homeschooling as part of this introduction is that it's what works for my family right now and that it's definitely not for everyone. I'd love to say that I'm a Christian, but really what I mean is that I'm trying to figure out how to be a Christian in my daily life with, in all honesty, mixed results--though I remain undeterred in my effort to become comfortable calling myself such. As I understand the program, it's meant to last a lifetime anyway, so maybe I'm making progress at a reasonable rate here.

I've spent my professional career working in the health care industry as a clinician, that is actually putting my hands on people who need care. (Inevitably, this subject will be a recurring topic here, because some of my work experience has driven me to conclude that the health care provision system is, well, in a word, WHACK.)

Naturally, I have hobbies too. I started scrapbooking in earnest when my first child was a baby though I had, who am I kidding---I still have, boxes of old photos and memorabilia from years ago. That stuff did come in handy at my 20th high school reunion but otherwise, generally, sits in a closet taking up space. I'm working on becoming a better photographer so as to have better material to work with when I scrapbook. Long way to go on that one. When I was a child, I took ballet classes. Lots and lots of ballet classes. Then I grew up; well, I got older anyway, and my schedule became filled with 'adult stuff,' so I quit dancing. Then, for my 37th birthday, I received a generous check and decided to investigate local adult ballet classes. Of course, there are details, but basically, I found only one school that would consider taking an adult ballet student, so I made my return to dance and have managed, over the past 3 years, to gain enough strength to dance in pointe shoes again and even perform, though, on this point I, again, may show an utter lack of relative wisdom. At 40, my days en pointe are waning quickly, but I still take classes. My exercise regimen now also includes a fair dose of pilates and cardio-kickboxing because I figured out, being somewhat alert to life myself, that I won't be able to dance ballet forever.

And last, but most importantly, the title of my blog may leave the impression that I'm somehow dissatisfied with my life. Nothing could be further from the truth. Life is an amazing miracle to me, and there is wonder even in the everyday things that tend to become routine or mundane.

Still, I continually find things that mystify me, and these will become the topics here. I welcome comments. After all, having established that I'm WHACK myself (after my intro, who could argue, right?), some things I just don't get. Maybe you can help me out by explaining...

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were homeschooling! :) I have been homeschool just Joshua this year. Maybe we can compare notes sometime. What grades are your kids again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean "homeschooling" Joshua, not "homeschool Joshua". I guess I type to fast, LOL!

    ReplyDelete